Well here we are, almost another year has gone by…we have been celebrating all the holidays and have eaten countless calories. We have eaten to our hearts content, and then some. This time of year many of us enjoy roasted meats like turkey, ham, beef, lamb and so on. We also tend to eat heavy side dishes and appetizers too. I don’t know about you, but at this point I want something different. So on this “Meatless Monday” I am sharing a very easy, roasted vegetable lasagna with some nice little short cuts for those of us who are very busy with work and life in general. Speaking of which, I have to apologize for the long stretch since my last blog post. A new job and a new home have kept me very busy. I am happy to finally be able to share another recipe with you. I hope you enjoy it, and I hope you have the most wonderful New Year!!!
To start, gather all of your ingredients together. For this recipe, I am using no boil noodles to save time, a good jarred marinara sauce, and a little bottled Italian dressing for the quick vegetable marinade. You can certainly make your own sauce, dressing, and boil regular lasagna noodles. You can also grill your vegetables if you prefer. I’ve done it that way too and it’s great, but this time we are taking a little help where we can get it😊. You can also add any vegetable that you like, eggplant, asparagus, spinach, there are so many combinations. Have at it! Make it your own!
Slice up all your vegetables and place them in a large zip lock bag.
Pour the dressing over the vegetables, close the zip lock bag and rub the marinade all over the vegetables to cover them.
Lay the vegetables out in a single layer onto sheet pans, and place them into a preheated 400 degree oven to roast for about 15 minutes until nicely caramelized and slight char is achieved.
While the vegetables are roasting, melt the butter and olive oil together in a large sauté pan.
Add the sliced onions and a little salt and pepper to the melted butter and oil mixture, and slowly sauté them until they are soft, sweet and light golden brown. Also add the chopped garlic to the onions and cook until fragrant.
Next mix the pesto into the ricotta cheese.
In a greased baking dish, cover the bottom with about 1 c of the tomato sauce.
Place the lasagna noodles on top of the sauce..
Layer 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, the roasted vegetables, the onions, and mozzarella cheese and more sauce, on top of the lasagna noodles. Repeat this 2 more times, finishing the last layer with sauce and cheese.
Spray some foil with cooking spray(so it won’t stick to the melted cheese) and cover the lasagna. Place it in a 375 degree oven and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover and cook about 10 more minutes until the cheese melts and lasagna is hot and bubbly.
Enjoy with a nice garden salad!
Roasted Vegetable Lasagna (Yields: 8-10 Servings)
2 TBS Olive Oil
1 TBS Butter
1c Italian Dressing
1/2c Prepared Basil Pesto
15 oz Ricotta Cheese
1 28oz Jar Marinara Sauce
1 Box No Boil Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles
2-3 Small Zucchini, sliced
1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded
1 Green Bell Pepper, seeded
1 Yellow Bell Pepper, seeded
2 Medium Onions, sliced
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
2c Shredded Mozzerella Cheese
- Place sliced zucchini and seeded peppers in a zip lock bag, pour dressing over them. Close the bag, and rub the dressing all over the vegetables. Place the seasoned vegetables on a baking sheet in a single layer, and roast in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Saute the onions and garlic, with a little salt and pepper, in a large sauté pan with melted butter and oil until soft and golden.
- Combine the pesto and ricotta cheese together in a small bowl.
- Spread 1c of marinara sauce on the bottom of a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Layer 1/3 of the lasagna noodles, the ricotta mixture, the roasted vegetables, the onions, the mozzerella cheese, and the marinara sauce, in that order. Repeat this 2 more times ending with the sauce and mozzerella cheese.
- Cover the lasagna with oiled aluminum foil, and place in a 375 degree oven for 50 minutes. Remove the foil and return to the oven for 10 more minutes.